Monday, May 12, 2008

Kheer ( Boeber) A rich and creamy drink with overtones of cardamom and cinnamon.






OMG! I love this drink. We make this during the month of Ramadan( Fasting month).This drink is rich and creamy and has all the warm spices( more like fall spices) and boy could you get your required Vitamin D all in one sitting!
Please use organic if you can! And....Please use any brands of ingredients however, these brands set the final product apart from mundane to marvelous!

Ingredients:
5 cups of very vanilla Silk soy milk( or you can use dairy which most people prefer)
2 to 4 T sugar, or to taste( Repunzel unrefined organic sugar) I do not like overly sweet dishes, so adapt to your palate .
3 T unsalted organic European butter / Or ghee( clarified butter).
1 T soji( semolina) (Swad)
2 handfuls roasted extra fine vermicelli( Ahmed brand), crushed .
1 T small tapioca pearls soaked for an hour in water.
1 T rose water and 1t vanilla (I use the kind from Santo Domingo)
3 small cinnamon sticks
5 cardamom( elachi) seeds
1/4 c sultanas or golden raisins.

My Mom used to add nuts, but I like it without the nuts!

Method: In a saucepan heat the butter, add the vermicelli and saute until golden brown in color on medium heat. Add the soji( semolina) , cinnamon, cardamom and the sultanas and saute until soji has that ' nutty' aroma( 5 mins.), stirring continuously. Add the milk and sugar and stir to prevent scorching. When the milk looks creamy, add the tapioca pearls which by now should be almost transparent because of the pre soak. Bring this mixture to boil and then lower heat to a very low temp. Lastly add the rose water and the vanilla and just keep warm. If it feels thick just add more milk. I like mine to be of pourable consistency / Or just before serving , vigorously shake the carton of milk and pour just a tiny little bit of the fresh milk on the already cooked and presented cup or bowl of boeber!

E-mail me if you have questions. Go to my "view profile"

Thank you Danica for the pretty cups and flowers!!!!

11 comments:

Julie said...

I have actually had Kheer and I love it. I have a very adventurous palate and have enjoyed all types of food from all parts of the world.
I look forward to enjoying your blog regularly....talk to you soon.

Chou said...

Wow, I've never heard of this but want to try it. Now. :)

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite dessert drink!
You can't just have one cup. Like the layer out.

Riyaana said...

Ditto on the favorite dessert drink!!! This is my default request whenever I'm home or with fam. So delicious!!!!!

Nazarina A said...

Julie,
I love your attitude! Food knows no boundaries!
I also love your foodie motto on your front page of your blog

Nazarina A said...

Hi chou,
You will "fall hard for this drink"LOL!!!!
You can find the rose water and most of the ingredients at a Middle Eastern or an Indian store.
Enjoy!!!!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, this sounds like a dessert more than a drink! Sounds like a great treat!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are so beautiful and the spices look delicious! I haven't ever had it, but will look for it!

Yasmeen said...

I make this Kheer for Eid, it sure is very rich.

lubnakarim06 said...

Kheer with soy milk sounds something new and looks awesome.

Ridwana Sirkot Jappie said...

I am a Durbanite so when my husband asked me to make boeber a few times I just assumed it was exactly the same thing as Eid Milk. Every time I made it he frowned.So yesterday I googled it and was brought to you blog via your stunning picture.Shukran to you it came out amazing and my husband even said it was the best his ever had.