Saturday, October 4, 2008

A superlatively sensational shrimp curry fest!

Shrimp curry with dried chili mangoes in a fragrant basmati rice ring










Shrimp curry over lightly fried flour sticks( "Pancit Canton" product of Philippines)








Dried chili mangoes (these chili mangoes are not spicy at all has more of a sweet Hungarian paprika taste available at Sunflower Farmer's market) and flour stick
s (available at Asian markets)







Shrimp curry with roasted citrus over
colorful basmati rice & pappadoms ( pappadoms aka urad available at Indian stores)







Often a dish can go from mundane to just ostentatiously irresistible! Look closely before breezing by my method of making this flavorful curry and deciding that this is just another curry-in-a-hurry. It is all this "lagniappe"( meaning that little bit "extra" ) , in other words, all the bells and whistles that elevate this dish! It reminds me of my microbiology professor who hailed from New Orleans and who used this term "lagniappe," another form of extra credit, to encourage us to excel and as you can see it shows in gastronomic proportions in all of my culinary ventures. The dried chili mangoes partially dissipate and impart a sweet and sour element of surprise to the sauce. Crazzzzzzy good!

Ingredients ( Please use organic ingredients when possible) :

Together with 5 green onions, cut an orange or tangerine, lemon and a head of garlic in half , brush with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and roast in the oven at 375 degrees until caramelized. This takes about 30 mins and set aside to cool.
  • 2lbs peeled and deveined shrimp (lightly washed and packed on ice)
  • 6 med. tomatoes cut in half and grated on the fine side of grater. Discard the peel.
  • kosher salt to taste
  • 1 small onion chopped fine
  • couple slices of green bell pepper
  • 3 strips of the dried chili mangoes, sliced in smaller pieces or use quince sliced
  • 1t ginger paste ( pound small piece ginger )
  • 1/2 c chopped cilantro
  • 1t turmeric
  • 1t garam masala( I make my own roasted mix)
  • 1t seafood masala mix
  • couple curry leaves
Method:

Saute the chopped onion and the green bell pepper until caramelized. Add the grated tomato and half of the roasted garlic, the chopped roasted green onions and the ginger paste and cook for 20 mins until you have a luscious sauce with just a little bit of texture. Add all the spices, dried mangoes and curry leaves and cook for 5 mins. Now only add the juice of the roasted citrus and half of the cilantro and cook for another 5 mins. Last but not least, add the shrimp and the remainder of the cilantro and cook until the shrimp are just pink about 7 mins.
Serve with flavorful basmati rice or lightly fried flour sticks and pappadoms.
Please do not for one minute think that this dish is overly spicy because I cannot tolerate too much heat even though my family can. I know that I give the indication with fiery red chillies as presentation, but these chillies are only used as a garnish and not in the curry itself. This dish does absolutely score high in taste! Please enjoy. it is my pleasure to serve you!

Check out on Reuters newswire


NazarinaA

38 comments:

Anjum said...

Eid mubaraak nazrina ..the shirmps look great..my husband loves shripms..but u hardly find fresh ones,so hav to make frozen.this is a new kind of recipe to me,the pics are awesome

Shreya said...

Hi, awesome feast! I love the shrimp curry recipe:-) Regarding the couscoussier, I understand that it is a steaming vessel used for couscous. Since it is a steaming vessel, I think it can be used to make puttu. Please try and let me know. You may keep it for 5-10 minutes and see if the rice flour mixture has been cooked, and doesn't taste raw.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. I love shrimp curry & did not have a recipe. So I'll have to try yours. Looks good.

Reeni said...

It looks so good, I have been craving shrimp! What are pappadoms? I love that word pappadoms! It keeps repeating in my head. They look kind of like fried wonton crisps. Everything looks so lovely as usual! I am glad to see you back to cooking again, after a little rest.

Nazarina A said...

Hi Reeni,
Pappadoms are available at Indian stores and are not like won tons at all. They are better known as "Urad". I have the Urad with black peppercorns and are extraordinarily light and crispy. One can cook them over an open flame( they puff up) or you can deep fry them. They are made out of Urid flour, cumin peppercorns etc... Pappadoms are soooo my weakness!!!

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to "meet" you! Everything on your site looks amazing.
Maryann from Finding La Dolce Vita

Unknown said...

looks delicous... Awesome...

Thxs for visiting my blog & ur vauleable comment..

maybelle's mom said...

the shrimp looks delicious. I adore shrimp. And I appreciate your many versions.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

thanks for dropping by my blog.. did u try the sandwich? i love the pics in your blog.. gr8 going..keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nazarina!

Wow! *mouthwatering*

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
Aren't Grannies just the best?

Hope you have a super week ahead!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ooh I love curry... I think I shall try this recipe with just veggies :o)

Sangeeth said...

Hi, my first time here...wow! u take great pics...nicely presented recipe!I also loved ur tea cup in the below post!

Jo A. T.B. said...

This looks simply delicious Nazarina. I love seafood, especially shrimp. I'll have to try your recipe sometime, and post some of my dishes too! :)

Unknown said...

i feel my mouth drooling when i saw the picture of your shrimp sambal. yum!

ochikeron said...

Great dishes! I love shrimps! I wanna try all of those :)

Dried chili mangoes look very spicy! Did you make those, or available at stores?

What kind of camera do you use? I like your photos!!!

The P & A Food Chronicles said...

i love your pictures

Pam said...

This looks fantastic! I love shrimp with curry. The colors are beautiful and the mango looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nazarina,

Your food is beautiful. The shrimp looks amazing. I am glad to have found your blog.

--Marc

lubnakarim06 said...

U r making me hungry. Looks gr8 and spicy. Mango and shrimps wow. Iam drooling over.

Natalie Que said...

I love shrimp I love curry, I love shrimp curry! I wouldn't have thought to make it on my own, duh! It seems easy enough!

Thanks! You are a true foodie!

Cynthia said...

Is it too late with wish you Eid Mubaraak?

Why, oh why did you not invite me to this feast? I love shrimp!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, I love curry and shrimps! Really scrumptious and highly satisfying!

Cheers,

Rosa

Hopie said...

This look delicious. I too love curry and yours has some yummy-sounding twists! Be back soon :-)

Deborah said...

Look at that color! I would love this!

Debbie said...

I love curries. This looks wonderful. I'll save it and put it on my menu!

vanillasugarblog said...

What a feast for the eyes, mouth and stomach!
Dried chili mangoes? Oh my goodness are you speaking my language.
I love all the flavours you have going on here.
I can't wait to try this. You really made a masterpiece here.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE SHRIMP! IT LOOKS SO GOOD I WILL HAVE TO TRY IT!

DONETTE

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you amaze me again and again, I am having trouble finding dried chili mangoes.... = ( Any tips on a substitute? How was your flight to Seattle?

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow -- your curry looks delicious and photographed beautifully! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I think your blog rocks! Have a great day!

Jen

MamaFaMi said...

Oh me oh my, your food really makes me hungry!

Prudy said...

Oh my goodness, what gorgeous food! I love the name of your blog too. The food all looks amazing.

ICook4Fun said...

Oh wow, this dish look awesome especially there are so many ways of enjoying it. I really like the pappadoms and I am sure it go so well with the shrimp curry.

Dori said...

Those are great pictures, it looks so good!

PG CakeCraft said...

wow Nazarina, i cannot take off my eyes fr the feast that u laid on the table. honestly, i wish i had been at yr place to devour all those wonderful food.*lol* i must say somthing about yr plates/tableware. they r really gorgeous! u hve such energy & creativity.

Yasmeen said...

WOW Nazarina ,tasty array of Shrimp recipes. Beautiful presentation:)

test it comm said...

That shrimp curry looks good! I like the bowl of rice.

Unknown said...

Emm curry!my favourite.I never heard of dried chilli mangoes..maybe i should try this one day.

Recipeswap said...

Beautiful photos and such good recipes.