Monday, June 2, 2008

Falooda a.k.a. Bombay Crush ( An exquisite rose-flavored milkshake)


Click here for garnishes for iced teas & more virgin drinks


and here for a virgin pear/ginger beer libation!








FALOODA.


Oh yah!!!!, this drink is so delectably dreamy! Both children and adults cannot stop until there is nothing left. This is a nourishing little number that I make during the Fasting month. It is utterly filling after a long hard day of Fasting and anything with my homemade french vanilla ice cream in it is worthwhile starving for the whole day ! You literally have to tear me away from it!
Unfortunately, for me I have become lactose intolerant bummer!!! But that still does not stop me. I just drink it when no one is around!

Homemade French vanilla ice cream:

Please use all organic ingredients. I used Horizon Organic to make 4 quarts.
2 c milk
1 c sugar or more to taste
1/2 t salt
2 c half and half
3 T vanilla ( from Santo Domingo)
4 c whipping cream
Scald milk until bubbles appear around edge of pan. Remove from heat , add sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Stir in the half and half, vanilla and whipping cream. refrigerate 30 mins. Churn in your ice cream maker as directed.
NB. I have experimented with some kosher brand of gelatin and rennet tablets and by adding either to the milk, gives one a smoother ice cream and less ice crystals. I shall post this method another time!



Falooda:

Serves about 6-8 people.

Soak 3 T Tukmuria seeds( jelly seeds) in some water until just covered, they will become 'spongy' after 10 mins. See the little black seeds above. These are available at any Indian store.
In the meanwhile pour 8 cups of cold milk into a jug
Whisk in about 6 or more helpings of ice cream into the milk.
Stir in the 'Rooh-Afza drink mix about 3-5 T depending on the shade of pink you want. This imparts a very distinctive rose-flavor to the drink. Drain the Tukmuria seeds and add little by little to see if you like these seeds in the drink. However, it is these little seeds that makes this drink exotic and it is sooooo good!
Enjoy!

Some people add pieces of China grass( jelly) , but I prefer not to.
Nazarina A

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naz this falooda looks amazing! I can't wait for ramadan so I can indulge:)

Hetal said...

Falooda looks deicious..love it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nazarina,

Thanks so much for contacting me, I've been on vacation so, sorry for delay in response.

I have looked at your web site and links and can see how passionate you are! You've done a wonderful job w/beautiful photos, I love the look of your desserts!

Lisa H
Publisher

Yasmeen said...

Nazarina,
I make falooda everyday in ramadan,its a thirst quencher.
those glasses look exotic, how'd you get that sugar color pink:)?

Nazarina A said...

Sis Yasmeen,
I bought this sugar at a store that sells unusual bakery items and ingredients.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow very refreshing and well presented falooda.

lubnakarim06 said...

I just posted the recipes sent byyou. Take a look.

Chefkiwiberry said...

The picture reminds us of The Mughals. Good presentation!