Monday, July 28, 2008

Liquid love affair ! ( Iced mango lassi)













Chill everything except the mango









My sassy mango lassi ( a lassi with a little twist)


" I close my eyes, I know you're there,
addicted to this liquid love affair,
tall, bright and a frosty yellow,
"pour me another" you burly fellow.

A virgin drink, yet so nutritious,
I cannot stop! you're so delicious,
So here's to you, you aim to please,
quit being such a bloody tease!"
Nazarina.


Normally, a lassi ( Indian mango yogurt drink) is made by blending mangoes, yogurt, milk and cardamom. I love a tiny bit of fizz in mine, so I changed the recipe just a little. Please use organic ingredients when possible.

  • 1 c superfine sugar
  • 11/2 c water
  • 1/2 c lemon juice ( fresh)
  • 2 c vanilla yogurt
  • 1 can mango pulp( see above for my personal best brand)
  • 1 bottle lemon sparkling mineral water( Target)
  • 1 mango


Method for the yogurt and lemon sorbet:

Boil 11/2 c water with the sugar until the mixture just boils. remove from hot plate and cool and then refrigerate for about half an hour. Add the lemon juice, stir and place in the freezer for about 1 hour. Remove and then whisk in the yogurt, grate some fresh mango on the fine side of the grater and add to this and then either freeze in ice cube trays or just a container until you can scrape with an ice cream scoop.

OR if you do not want to cook anything on the stove top: just buy a pint of lemon sorbet from the market, let it melt and whisk in the yogurt, add the grated fresh mango and then freeze and proceed to follow the directions below to make the lassi.


To make the drink:

Blend some of the frozen yogurt lemon sorbet with the mango pulp ( or fresh mangoes), add just a little lemon mineral water to this mixture not too much( you just want a bit of a fizz) and blend again until incorporated. Pour into pretty glasses with ice cubes and also garnish with more of the lemon yogurt sorbet cubes.

Enjoy the mango lassi!!!



This is my entry for beat the heat competition.

Nazarina.


Join this competition hosted by Southern grace

Levi Anderson has requested to put this recipe on their weg page (See his comment)

Here is the link: http://www.allysonskitchen.com/pc-2635-341-sassy-iced-mango-lassi.aspx

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Nazarina,

I'm currently working on opening a studio here in Denver. We should be able to shoot nearly any kind of photography. My friend Mystique does a lot of food. Many other students and recent grads of my alma mater, The Art Institute of Colorado, are also quite capable.
Did you do all the photography on your blog? Very nice blog by the way. I love your approach.

Take care,

Kendell
kendellguyer.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Nazarina,
Checked it out and it's sweet the drink looks delicious! We have a few foodie's on poetry2share and one regularly posts recipes on our Forum.
Best wishes,
Alan.
u have a lovely blog.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! This sounds delicious!
AbbyNormal on ehow

Anonymous said...

Oh, and love the little poem at the top of your article!

AbbyNormal on ehow

Unknown said...

This looks like summer love! I'm sitting in 100 degree heat and it's not even noon. These are going on my list of things I must make this week! Thank you!

I'm very jealous that you are nice and cool in Denver (I miss home!!) But I hear you all are bit toasty this summer as well. These lassi's will do the trick and are a bit off the normal lassi road, I'm excited!

Anonymous said...

I love anything with mango...this sounds awesome!

allysonskitchen said...

Now that sounds refreshing - I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Nazarina,

I'm the webmaster at www.allysonskitchen.com and recently came across your Sassy Mango Lassi recipe. I am writing to ask if we can add it to the Recipes Collection on our website, giving you full credit and a link back to your blog, of course.

Please let me know if you would mind, because I think it's a fabulous treat.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for your comments on Allyson's Blog, as well.

--
Levi Anderson
www.allysonskitchen.com

Anonymous said...

I like the poem, but it was the picture of the fresh mango next to the drinks that did it. I love fresh mangoes! Plus it's about 105 degrees today, and those drinks made my mouth water almost instantly.
Levi

Reeni said...

Hi Nazarina, I love your poem too! I have never had a "lassi." I have a whole box of ripe mangoes that I won for my mac n cheese and I must get to creating today before it's too late! This looks so refreshing and tasty!!