Thursday, April 9, 2009

Delectable hot cross buns, a fun egg project, all for Easter!

Greetings!

Turn boring hard boiled eggs into a fun project for Easter!
Engage your kids as well! I did this project in less than 20 mins.
This is a chick, a bunny and "big eyes." ( organic eggs please!)


I hope that everyone will truly enjoy a joyous Easter!

I have already started and that is because we shall be dining
out on Eater day ! I am spoiling house guests with this
delectable "Teeccino" Maya organic chocolate lattes which
I have brewed and embellished with chocolate and regular
whipping cream and my Mom's delicious recipe, Copenhagens.
They were all deliriously happy smelling this cinnamon aroma
coming from my kitchen. This currant bun is not your typical
hot cross bun recipe, but I made it into one by piping them
with powdered sugar mixed with fresh lemon juice. These
Copenhagens are not sweet at all. I only used a half cup
of organic sugar for 5 cups of organic cake flour.


I used a stencil and chocolate cocoa for the word "latte"
and the "coffee beans picture."
"TEECCINO" rocks!( non acidic coffee alternative).
It is freaking awesome and gave me my java groove
back!!!
Get your buzz on!!!






petite buns in white





I also made some of the Copenhagen dough into a round
"cake." They are star studded with a boat load of
currants!
I was feeling quite embarrassed at every one's
ooooh's and yummy's when I set the table for breakfast.


pretty in pink! Hot cross bun cake





I had to adorn some of the Copenhagens with blue icing
for all the "boys." A "break apart" concept that was soft
and warm and cinnamonny !





The dough is spongy and springy and the buns
have to be baked the same day! Bear in mind
all these buns are for a boat load of guests ha! ha!







These Copenhagens have a tender crumb with a glossy,
golden crust and were all so very delicious. After this
breakfast, I proposed a long hike in the mountains!




Easter also marks the beginning of spring which brings to mind spring cleaning ( maybe also cleaning up all those crappy demeanors of some) LOL! , the beautiful tulips blooming here in Colorado and also just that "get up and go feeling" providing that "go" has not upped and went ahead of you! However, here in Colorado, we might have to wait until the end of June for spring to really set in!
We have also been very busy tilling the soil in our garden in preparation for sewing all those wonderful seeds. I cannot wait for those fat juicy tomatoes!!!

Groete Suid Afrikaners!
Ek wens almal n' aangename Paasfees!
Paasvees is n' kerklike waarneming en ook n' plesierige vakansie. Die Paas naweek is die beginsel van lente, meer opgewekte gedragte en kinders oral wil op n' paaseier soektog gaan. Vir my is lente die beste seisoen want dit voorspel warme weer en n' nuwe groeikoors!


Ingredients:

Please use organic ingredients when possible


Copenhagens( currant buns)
  • half cup super fine sugar
  • 1 and 3/4 packages of dried yeast( little packages)
  • 5 c cake flour extra for dusting your hands
  • 1 t fine cardamom
  • 1 and 1/2 c lukewarm milk
  • 2 Egg-lands best eggs beaten
  • 1 stick plus 3 t unsalted European butter( soft)
  • pinch kosher salt
  • Currants and sultanas
  • mix some sugar with cinnamon
Cream the yeast by adding it to one teaspoon sugar, quarter cup of the lukewarm milk and stir until dissolved. Let this sit until frothy and bloomed. Sift the flour, sugar, cardamom and salt in the kitchen aid bowl. Cut up the butter into small pieces and rub into the flour mixture until the flour mixture resembles small peas. Whisk the remainder of the milk (lukewarm) and the eggs together. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add the egg mixture. Now mix in the kitchen aid or by hand.
Mix until incorporated until the dough has a sticky consistency.
Dust your hands with flour remove the dough and knead for about 2 mins, it will be very sticky, but it will come together and then let proof in an oiled bowl for approx. one and a half hours.
Pinch off little balls, flatten into circles, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and then some currants and sultanas and roll up into a tiny roulade. Roll the little roulade into a spiral, place either into a round cake tin or bake individually. Give them an egg wash, let proof again covered in the pan for about 20-40 mins until they look spongy and then bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for about 30 mins. If you see that the buns are not browning, turn up to 375 degrees until the tops of the buns are golden. Dissolve about 1 tablespoon sugar into 2 tablespoons of boiling water. Remove the copenhagens , brush with this mixture to give its glaze and return to oven for another 5-10 mins. of baking time or until golden brown like mine in picture!
Decorate by mixing powdered sugar with fresh lemon juice and a little water and pipe designs with a pastry bag, or for the buns in the last picture, just drizzle the powdered sugar and the lemon mixture over the buns when it has cooled.


For the hard boiled eggs:

I cut off the bottom part of the egg and cut that into two halves for the bunny ears and used tooth picks to secure them into the body of the bunny. I used cloves for the eyes and a piece of cauliflower for the " cottontail." I used a carrot for the "tail", " beak" and 'cocks comb" of the little chick. Just use your imagination!





MY NEW BLOG ADDRESS :

www.giddygastronome.com

Click here for more bunnies & eggs on the new blog!





Nazarina.

64 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

what a yummy vision. These buns look delicious and I love the way you presented them.

The Food Hunter said...

those are the cutest eggs!

Soma said...

Your pictures & recipes are just so Perfect always!! Those are the sweetest eggs I have ever seen. & your buns are beyond compare. I need one now with my cuppa.

Mrs. L said...

Okay those eggs are just too dang cute!

Dewi said...

Such an amazing talent you have Naz. Those eggs look so cute and adorable. The cross buns look absolutely delicious.
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

You Naz you have sure fine talent in all that your do-- I have never seen Hot Cross buns look so welcoming and warm and gooey, I've never made them myself = )

I am going to follow your recipe and give it a try. P.S. You presenting with the ribbons... fabulous darling, just fabulous.

Anonymous said...

P.S. where did you get the stencils?

Nazarina A said...

Hi girl Japan and thanks everybody for your warm Easter thoughts. I wish I could share all these goodies with you! It would be my greatest pleasure! I love entertaining!!!!

Girl Japan,I bought the stencils at a notions and craft store, Jo-Ann fabrics and crafts.

MaryBeth said...

Happy Easter to you my friend...The buns look amazing but you little egg friends it really what caught my eye. They are do darn adorable!!

ochikeron said...

You are an artist!!!
Copenhagens look delicious!!! I love the pink one ;)

I really like your color!!!

Amy said...

Oh wow! I love those current buns! And they're so pretty with their 2 different coloured icings!

Donna-FFW said...

How adorbale love them and those buns are to die for delicious looking!!

Ammu said...

Wow! my eyes r drooling. Very innovative and creative.

Premyscakes said...

Those buns are adorable and very innovative with eggs!!!.

Olga said...

those buns look amazing! and I really like the egg ideas.

Pam said...

Everything look so cute and tasty. I really want to try the hot cross buns.

Couture Carrie said...

Hi Nazarina!

How fabulously fun and festive is this post? Can't wait to make some Copenhagens!

Happy Easter, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Sophie said...

Those buns are golden and are putting a smile on my face and craving in my belly. I also love your little easter eggs/easter bunny too :)!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

as usual, everything looks pretty, original and delicious on your blog! Aaahhh, these buns are mighty tempting!

Cheers and Happy easter,

Rosa

Live.Love.Eat said...

YOU are Incredible!!!!! I love the lattes. Normally I would skip dessert and do 2 of the lattes but at your place I would say bring on the buns. Happy Easter my friend!!!!!!!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Nazarina,

I love your egg designs very creative you are! Your hot cross buns look very inviting, I must try your recipe sometime! I could imagine the aroma coming from your kitchen. All the home cooking we do, our house smells much like restaurants! Yes you're wise to walk off the calories!

Nic said...

Heh heh! Cute eggs!!
Love the hot cross bun cake - DELISH!!

Varsha Vipins said...

wow..Thats so cute Naz..Loved those egg arts..:)
..my ..n those buns are to die for..glazy crust n yummm..:)

Recipeswap said...

lovely hot cross buns.....that chicken is adorable.

Reeni said...

The eggs are so cute and clever. The variety of buns are a beautiful sight. So many! You are a baking queen. Have a Happy Easter!

kimvee said...

ohmygosh the eggs are so cute! and I would love the drink that hot cup of cocoa , especially in that cup, so adorable :)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Love the idea for the HCB cake and the boiled eggs too! How totally brilliant! :D

Priyanka Agrawal said...

omg those are super cute...u r so creative dear. wish i could dig in to the food u have presented :)

Nemo @ Daily-dabble.com said...

Hi Nazarina!

Your projects are gorgeous as always. I think I might propose that mom and I make some hot crossed buns before our guests arrive for Easter this weekend! They don't know of these things in Italy!

I on the other hand never realised you are a fellow South African!! I had read your About Me, but didn't recall anything about SA in there... wow, real cool. And your Afrikaans is still perfect! I can still understand and speak it, but the vocab I once knew is slowly disappearing into the black hole that is my memory... And I'm sure my pronunciation has become that of an obvious foreigner now... I used to be proud of my perfectly Afrikaans pronunciation! (Mother tongue English you see...) *weeps*

Well, hope you have a super Happy Easter, my friend!

Anonymous said...

CRRRAAAZZY adorable! mmm! you have beautiful pictures that I just want to lick.

Lisa said...

It sounds like quite a treat to be your guest! Those buns look amazing and your eggs are just sooo cute.

Unknown said...

you are soooooo creative!!! happy easter... :)

chefectomy said...

I don't know how to say this Nazarina, so I'll just say it - You have lovely eggs and buns. Fabulous pics as always...Happy Easter!

Lori Lynn said...

Adorable Eggs! You are the most creative!

Happy Easter to you and your family!
Lori Lynn

Cakelaw said...

What great Easter treats Nazarina! Definitely fun for all the family. Happy Easter!

Tangled Noodle said...

The eggs are so cute and the buns so very delicious!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow love the pics of eggs. Really superb! love the mugs also. Very cute......Buns looks soft and yum.

Noor said...

Hot cross buns (I now have the nursery rhyme in my head thanks lol)...

I have a group and we do monthly challenges and this month its Hot cross buns actually, I gave them your link for some creative ideas.

How many of these did you make, so many wow..

PS. You have a gift waiting at my blog :)..

grace said...

while your big-eyed egg critter is adorable, i can't look away from your buns--they look tremendous!

ARUNA said...

wow first visit here.....those r the cutest eggs i ever saw. And cross buns look sooooo ymmmyyyyy!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Those eggs are so cute! I love them. Your tsalent never ceases to amaze me! Your hot cross buns look so yummy. Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

Anonymous said...

wow everything's so cute! you're a genius!

Darius T. Williams said...

Love the creations! Love them - Love them - Love them!

Yasmeen said...

As always ogle-worthy pictures,Naz.The hot cross buns cake is truly a brilliant idea:)

Chutneytales said...

Wow..wow..wow..The easter eggs look so cute..What a creative person you are!
The hot cross buns are looking yum!!There is so much to learn from you,dear :)

Anonymous said...

The egg creations are just adorable and I would love a taste of those delicious looking hot cross buns!

Bunny said...

Everything is gorgeous!! I love those buns, the pictures are truely beautiful!!

Shabs.. said...

Hi nazarina, thx for stopping by my blog..Im a secret admirer of ur blog:)....all ur posts r unique with incredible picture presentation..just pic could tell it all...
hugs..

Sagan said...

Beauties. The buns look sooo tasty.

Jenn said...

Wow those look delectable!!! I'll have two...no, make that three buns, please.

I look forward to seeing more delish food from you. =)

Jaya M said...

Naz,
Lovely and cute :)...my kiddo will love those cute hard -boiled eggs..Buns looks so delicious and yum..
hugs and smiles

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I love all those Easter treats that you prepared! :)

Enjoy your day!
Margot

p.s. Wanted to let you know about Chocolate-Making Kit GIVEAWAY on my site :)

Barbara GF said...

You certainly make food fun, Nazarina! I can't wait to try out your hot-cross bun recipe — it sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL, CREATIVE, TALENTED and much, much more is all I can say about it. Please, visit my blog @:
ninasculinarycreations.blogspot.com
and pick up your award. You deserve it my dear ! :)

Ann said...

Fabulous!your blog rocks!
I totally adore your decor skills. Loved the easter eggs and hot cross buns simple delish.

Cynthia said...

Easter is gone but I am going to make these buns, the look so darn fantastic!

Deeba PAB said...

Happy belated easter Naz...FAB post!! WOW!!

farida said...

Everything looks so delicious. Love the cute eggs:)

Unknown said...

wow!you're really good in baking.Love those hot cross bun.I always wanted to make hot cross bun but never have a chance.yum yum!

Shreya said...

what a visual treat those pics are! So delicious looking too:-)

lubnakarim06 said...

Where r u?

Diane said...

those eggs are ADORABLE! and the hot cross buns are making me soooo hungry. i need some NOW!

Chitra said...

wow...yummmmmmmmmy:)

Anonymous said...

you're amazing. Words fail me. You're just super amazing. Way cool!